I am sending this email to advise you that I do not support a change to the boundaries of the Hope-Chilliwack riding to Merritt/Lillooet by the BC Electoral Commission. We are a much better fit within the current boundaries of Hope-Chilliwack for these and many other reasons:
1. Hope is part of the Fraser Health Authority and the Fraser Valley Regional District; we are included demographically and geographically within their boundaries and we also share many servicing plans and future plans, including transit, with them.
2. People from Hope tend to head West on a regular basis, not North. Chilliwack is an easy 30 minute drive from Hope year round; putting the Coquihalla Highway between us and our MLA doubles the travel time and severely limits access during the winter months.
3. Hope's economic development plan includes a regional strategy that is focused West, not North.
4. Chilliwack is the natural service point for Hope for anything that is not available in our community.
5. Our issues and economy are more closely aligned with, impacted by, and relatable to people in Chilliwack than Merritt/Lillooet.
I urge the BC Electoral Commission to leave Hope where it is and where it belongs: in the Hope-Chilliwack Electoral Boundary.